Most of my clients ask me in regards to the big square box inside the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it may either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Apply it if only the temperature and humidity outside is a lot more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. If your air conditioning system is operating in the daytime, and the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity remains high), don’t turn the find more. The vent will suck all of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to make use of it would be, of course, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it is probably not a good idea to bring all the pollution in to the house. The window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and will make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open several doors and windows as you possibly can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (no less than with the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air externally through any possible openings like, for example, from the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. Should it be a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow from the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, you may start up the whole house fan and usually in the next few seconds you should feel plenty of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both have to be balanced to perform properly as a way to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. Air drawn with the whole house fan must be discharged through the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created inside the attic area will cause the air which was just pulled out of your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to aid the great tumblr operation; you might need far more to hold all of that extra level of air to the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the sq footage of the attic vents expected to discharge that air is very simple. You just need the dimensions of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is simply a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your own home you believe needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the portion of the required attic vents (them all combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re stepping into provides the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there can be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d need to divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. Yet another critical thing: louvers in the Tumblr will not be air tight and have no insulation put on their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would personally highly recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it prior to deciding to use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and a lot of people never utilize them, but they might benefit your wallet should you apply the above. You can find currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, more effective, and give air circulation for long periods of time.